Monday, March 10, 2014

"Don't Touch!"


I can't describe the feeling of healing incisions but it must be the reason why bears rub up against trees so much. I suddenly feel the urge to rub sandpaper all over my stomach but nooo "don't touch!" This is what my friends tell me as they beg for me to pull my shirt back down and stop itching while they are eating. Believe me guys if I could rub up against a tree far away from your dinner table I would! But for now I will rub my battle wounds and pretend I am using a brush.

I wanted to talk a little bit about the actual surgery for those who have not had it yet or are thinking of having it. The procedure is done laparoscopic which means you are only left with 6 tiny holes and the question of how on earth they possibly got rid of your stomach. This is a really great new way of having this surgery because in the past they just had to cut right down the middle of you to move everything around. Ick. After surgery they leave a "puss drain" in your stomach for the amount of time you are in the hospital just to make sure nothing is leaking. Now when the nurse tells you pulling out the tube doesn't hurt.. She is lying. The tube itself is about the size of a tape worm and no I have never seen a real one but I am sure it looks just like this. After they take it out they do what they have done with every other hole and put tape over it. TAPE I TELL YOU!! Don't breathe too much or they will pop open! Ha no that would be silly, please keep breathing. I have not reached this point yet but I have been told at my next doctors appointment the tape will be taken off. This is good as I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to just pull it off and see what would happen! Nothing good I'm sure, "don't touch!"

Here is a picture of me and my favorite nurses after the tape worm was extracted. I would have taken a picture of the actual thing but my parents frown upon me doing such gross things in public. (Not that is has ever stopped me before)

No comments:

Post a Comment